North Carolina Natives
- Flowering Plants of Western NC
- Wildflowers of the Southern Appalachian Mountains
- Common Wetland Plants of Piedmont and Coastal Plain, NC
- Coastal NC Plants, Plants for Backyard Wetlands
- Poisonous Plants of NC
- Wild Flowers and Plants of NC
- NC Wildflowers
- NCDOT Wildflower Program – find out what is planted in those highway beautification beds!
- The University of North Carolina Herbarium
- The Virtual Herbarium, at the Plant Information Center
View specimen images for NC trees and SE gymnosperms
Identify Natives of Other States
- Delaware Wildflower page
- Native Plants of Georgia
- Kansas Native Plant Society
- Kentucky Native Plants
- Virginia Native Plants
- Wildflowers of Texas
- The Missouri Flora Website – more than 700 plants to date.
- Online Rare Plant Guide for Utah
Comprehensive Identification Resources
- Native Plant Database, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
- Flora of North America online
Presented for the first time, in one published reference source, information on the names, taxonomic relationships, continent-wide distributions, and morphological characteristics of all plants native and naturalized found in North America north of Mexico.
- Plants Database
- HortiPlex, at GardenWeb
- NatureServe Explorer
- A National List of plants that occur in Wetlands from US Fish and Wildlife
- The FTD Florists’ Guide to Orchids (Also approved and shared by the Orchid Society of the Royal Botanical Gardens on their resources page.)
May 27, 2007 marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of Rachel Carson (PDF*), one of the world’s foremost leaders in conservation.
Find out what it means to be a conservation garden (NC Botanical Gardens, University of NC at Chapel Hill).
NC Conservation Programs
- Friends of Plant Conservation
- NC Natural Heritage Program – NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- The North Carolina Coastal Federation
promotes and educates homeowners on planting Native Plants in their landscape
- North Carolina Conservation Network
- The Nature Conservancy (North Carolina)
NC Land Conservancies
- Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy: preserving the world’s oldest mountains
- Catawba Lands Conservancy
- Piedmont Land Conservancy
- Triangle Lands Conservancy
- The North Carolina Coastal Land Trust
Other Conservation Resources
- Center for Plant Conservation
- One of our affiliates, the Native Plant Conservation Campaign
- The Plant Conservation Alliance
- The Garden Conservancy: saving America’s garden masterpieces
- National Audubon Society
- Chestnut Trees
Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has a nice listing of NC Native Plant Recommendations.
Gardening for Butterflies
- A guide to some great plants for attracting butterflies in Central NC
- Butterflies in Your Backyard, NC State Univ
- Florida Butterfly Gardening with native plants includes information on butterfly habitat necessities.
- Smithsonian Institute’s excellent website on pollinator gardening.
Gardening for Wildlife
- Landscaping for Wildlife with Native Plants, NC State Univ
https://content.ces.ncsu.edu/landscaping-for-wildlife-with-native-plants (Extensive article also available as a PDF* from link at bottom of box at right side of the page.)
- Managing Backyards and Other Urban Habitats for Birds, NC State Univ
- Hummingbird Habitats, at Operation Rubythroat: The Hummingbird Project
- Make your backyard a haven! Audubon At Home can help:
- Pollinators in trouble! Fewer birds and bees mean trouble for crops. Killer parasite, destruction of bat caves affecting nature’s pollinators.
- Selecting Plants for Pollinators: A Regional Guide for Farmers, Land Managers, and Gardeners In the Southeastern Mixed Forest Province Including the States of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and parts of Tennessee, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma
Miscellaneous Native Resources
- Persimmon Pudding – dedicated to growing, education, and use of Diospyros virginiana L., the common, or American persimmon – http://persimmonpudding.com/
- Join the free Native Orchid Conference list (It’s not just about the conferences!) https://groups.yahoo.com/group/nativeorchidconference/
- Celebrating Wildflowers, USDA Forest Service https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/
- Wildflower links offered by GardenWeb http://www.wild-flowers.com/