Charlotte and surrounding counties
Photo: Larry Mellichamp with Southern Piedmont Chapter at NC Gamelands, May 2016, pointing out pitcher plants.
*In person meetings temporarily suspended*
Meetings held 2nd Sunday of each month
2:00 PM unless noted
No meetings in June or July
Sunday, October 11, 2020
Join us for a field trip to hike in the Sandhills Gamelands in Hoffman, NC. The hike will be led by experts Bruce Sorrie and Will Stuart.
Open to members only.
Check back later for details and registration.
We need you! The Southern Piedmont Chapter has many active members, and we hope you will get involved and participate.
NOTICE: All Southern Piedmont Chapter in-person activities cancelled until further notice. We are monitoring the COVID-19 Situation and will resume activities when CDC guidelines indicate it is safe to gather.
MEANWHILE: Post photos of your local wildflower finds and tag with #NCNPS and #SouthernPiedmontChapter so we can all enjoy a virtual spring this year!
CANCELLED - Spring 2020 Opportunities to Share Your Love of Native Plants
Volunteer for a shift staffing our booth at one of these events. A great opportunity to hang out with other native plant folks and to share your enthusiasm! For details and to sign up to volunteer, click on the links below:
Discovery Place Nature: Pollinating Our Future
Saturday April 11 from 9-12
Matthews Earth Day with HAWK
Saturday April 18 from 10-1
McDowell Nature Center: Native Plant Sale
Saturday April 18 from 10-4
Statesville Arbor Day Celebration and Family Fest
Saturday April 18 from 10-2
Iredell Garden Fair
Saturday April 25 from 9-2
Druid Hills: Birds, Nature and Community Day
Saturday May 16 from 10-1
Share Your Native Plants for Chapter Events this Spring
For a list of dates and to donate plants, click here.
Our chapter needs volunteers (one southern and one northern) to assist with delivery and collection of booth gear and supplies before and after our community events.
More ways for chapter members to get involved:
- Speak to school, scout, HOA, faith, garden clubs and any other groups interested in learning about native plants. We can provide materials and PowerPoint presentations.
- Volunteer to propagate seeds for plant distribution at area events.
- Volunteer to staff Earth Day, Hummingbird Festival, and other community events at an NCNPS booth. Materials will be provided.
- Volunteer to tend local native plant gardens. Often parks, school grounds and neighborhoods want to commit to growing more natives. But they need our helping hands to keep the project on track.
Great Gardens in the Piedmont!! Great books to read, and great groups for more information!
—UNCC Botanical Gardens including Mellichamp Native Plant Terrace
—Reedy Creek Nature Center and Nature Preserve
—Mecklenburg County Park and Rec Hike along the Greenways and in the Nature Preserves
—Carolina Thread Trail network of trails around Charlotte in both North and South Carolina
—The Mecklenburg County Herbarium located at the James F. Matthews Center for Biodiversity Studies housed at Reedy Creek Nature Center
—MeckFlora plant identification in Mecklenburg County
—Certificate for Native Plant Studies at UNCC Botanical Gardens
—CROWN Charlotte chapter of the NC Wildlife Federation
—HAWK Matthews chapter of the NC Wildlife Federation
—NC Invasive Plant Council great information for management of invasive plants
—Xerces Society great place for pollinator information
—Going Native Urban Landscaping for Wildlife with Native Plants - site operated by NCSU
—Native Plants of the Southeast: A Comprehensive Guide to the Best 460 Species for the Garden by Larry Mellichamp with photographs by Will Stuart, available at Timber Press
- Latta Prairie (October 09, 2016)
- The Medicine Wheel Garden (February 08, 2015)
- The Herbarium at Reedy Creek Nature Center (January 11, 2015)
- Mellichamp Native Terrace (October 12, 2014)
- Pink Lady’s-slippers with the Davidson Lands Conservancy (May 04, 2014)
- McDowell Prairie Restoration Site (September 14, 2014)
back to top