2021-2022 Fiscal Year Accomplishments
Membership – We now have over 1500 active members.
Alice Zawadzki Land Conservation Fund contributed to the purchase of three land parcels of high ecological quality:
- 216 acres expanding Morrow Mountain State Park
- 120 acres within the Tate Mountain Natural Heritage Area
- 272 acres of cypress-gum swamp along the Cape Fear River
Tom and Bruce Shinn Fund Scholarship Fund awarded six students research grants to study native plants.
B. W. Wells Stewardship Fund awarded seven community organizations funds to establish native plant gardens or to restore natural areas.
NCNPS sponsored five scholarships for students and professionals to attend the 2021 Cullowhee Native Plant Conference.
- We now have 147 Certified Native Plant Gardens across the state.
- Our Spring Trip featured 6 hikes in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and Nantahala National Forest and hosted CoreyPine Shane who spoke on Appalachian medicinal plants.
- Our Society and Chapters have offered over 50 programs and local hikes, reaching nearly 1000 members and non-members throughout the state.
- We have revised our Newsletter to an all-digital format, with archived versions now available on our website.
- We now have over 2 dozen recorded programs on our YouTube channel.
- We have updated our Plant Gallery with more species and pictures, thanks to Bettina Darveaux and many contributors.9 new species were added, for a total of 1,138 species.458 photos were added, for a current total of 3,041 images. Taxonomic updates were completed in compliance with Alan Weakley’s 2020 Flora of the Southeastern United States.
We thank all the volunteers “behind the curtain,” who all year are meeting and planning and updating databases and websites to keep up with the fascinating world of North Carolina’s native plants!
And, we thank all Members for your support and generosity during the last fiscal year.
Slate of Officers for 2022-2023 Voted and Elected
|Vice President||Margot Ringenburg|
|Board At-Large||Vicki Fuhrmann|
|Board At-Large||Bettina Darveaux|
|Board At-Large||Roxanne Newton|
|Board At-Large||Paula LaPoint|
|Board At-Large||Lisa Lofland Gould|