We now have a seed library box installed at the Daniel Boone Native Gardens. Huge thanks to everyone who helped to make this happen! This was all done with donations, too. If you would like to show your appreciation, please feel free to donate to either the NC Native Plant Society or the Daniel Boone Native Gardens.
We still need a label for it to let people know what’s inside the box. If you have a suggestion what to name it, please let us know.
What is this?
You may have seen some of these little free library boxes around that people use to share books. The idea behind these seed libraries is similar in that people can share seeds. We hope this works well so we can use it for a socially-distanced seed swap in January!
Where is it?
Our native plant seed library box is located at the Daniel Boone Native Gardens at 651 Horn in the West Drive in Boone, NC. You can find another one in town for sharing heirloom veggies and more at the Watauga Seed Library on Queen Street.
How do I use it?
Just stop by and check it out, take some seeds if you like, and/or deposit seeds if you have any to share. We would like to keep this box for native plants only – non-native seeds should be deposited with the seed library on Queen Street. More detailed instructions how to grow native plants from seeds and guidelines for seed sharing (PDF) are available inside the box. Please feel free to take a copy!
Please keep Covid guidelines in mind during your visit. Hand sanitizer is available at the Gatehouse. If the bottle needs refilling, please let us or the Daniel Boone Native Gardens know.
There is a latch on the side of the door to keep the elements and hopefully the squirrels out, so please make sure you close it again if you open it.
We have small envelopes and bags available for seed sharing so please let us know if you need some for your seeds.
What’s in the box?
Going into our seed swap for 2021, we have over 200 seeds available with a selection of over 50 species of native annuals, perennials, shrubs and trees. On January 15, 2021, seeds for the following species were available:
- Amsonia tabernaemontana (Eastern Bluestar)
- Andropogon virginicus (Broomsedge Bluestem)
- Aquilegia canadensis (Eastern Wild Columbine)
- Asclepias exaltata (Poke Milkweed)
- Asclepias syriaca (Common Milkweed)
- Baptisia australis (Blue Wild Indigo)
- Bidens polylepis (Bearded Beggarticks)
- Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea)
- Clintonia umbellulata (Speckled Wood Lily)
- Conoclinum coelestinum (Blue Mistflower)
- Coreopsis lanceolata (Lanceleaf Tickseed, species and cultivar)
- Coreopsis verticillata (Whorled Tickseed)
- Dionaea muscipula (Venus Flytrap, cultivar)
- Echinacea tennesseensis (Tennessee Coneflower)
- Eupatorium perfoliatum (Boneset)
- Eurybia divaricata (White Wood Aster)
- Eutrochium dubium (Coastal Plain Joe-Pye Weed)
- Eutrochium fistulosum (Hollow Joe-Pye Weed)
- Filipendula rubra (Queen-of-the-Prairie)
- Gaillardia pulchella (Indian Blanket)
- Gentiana clausa (Bottle Gentian)
- Heliopsis helianthoides (Smooth Oxeye)
- Liatris spicata (Dense Blazing Star)
- Lobelia cardinalis (Cardinal Flower)
- Oenothera biennis (Evening Primrose)
- Packera aurea (Golden Ragwort)
- Parnassia grandifolia (Large-leaf Grass-of-Parnassus)
- Penstemon digitalis (Foxglove Beardtongue)
- Penstemon smallii (Blue Ridge Beardtongue)
- Physocarpus opulifolius (Eastern Ninebark)
- Phytolacca americana (Pokeweed)
- Ptelea trifoliata (Hop Tree, Wafer Ash)
- Pycnanthemum incanum (Hoary Mountainmint)
- Pycnanthemum virginianum (Virginia Mountainmint)
- Rudbeckia fulgida (Orange Coneflower)
- Rudbeckia hirta (Black-Eyed Susan)
- Rudbeckia laciniata (Cutleaf Coneflower)
- Rudbeckia subtomentosa (Sweet Coneflower)
- Rudbeckia triloba (Brown-Eyed Susan)
- Silphium perfoliatum (Cup Plant)
- Solidago spp. (Goldenrod)
- Sporobolus heterolepis (Prairie Dropseed)
- Styrax americana (American Snowbell Tree)
- Symphyotrichum georgianum (Georgia Aster)
- Symphyotrichum novae-angliae (New England Aster)
- Thermopsis villosa (Carolina Bush Pea)
- Verbesina alternifolia (Wingstem)
- Vernonia fasciculata (Smooth Ironweed)
- Vernonia noveboracensis (New York Ironweed)
- Vitis rotundifolia (Muscadines/Scuppernongs, cultivar)
- Yucca filamentosa (Adam’s Needle)
We placed an additional bin next to the stone bench for bulk seeds for our seed swap through January. This bin also contains envelopes/bags for seeds if you need some to package your own for sharing.
Contact cards how to get in touch if you have any questions and membership brochures are also available inside the box. If any of these items need restocking, please let us know.